The Bachelor of Veterinary Science (Honours) is taught at the UQ Gatton campus. We recommend you live on or close to the campus.

If you choose to live off campus, you will need to use public transport or drive to get to the campus.

Note: You will need to make accommodation arrangements before you arrive.


    Halls of Residence

    The Halls of Residence at UQ Gatton campus is the oldest and largest residential operation associated with The University of Queensland, being established in 1897 and currently comprising 436 rooms.

    Community life in the Halls provides the opportunity for an exciting "Living and Learning" experience at University; it is entirely up to you how much you want to avail yourself of the opportunities.

    To apply, visit the UQ Halls of Residence website.

    Rental accommodation in Gatton, surrounding areas, Toowoomba or Brisbane

    If you intend to live in Gatton, surrounding areas, Toowoomba or Brisbane you can use one of the real estate websites to search for suitable accommodation. You can search for shared accommodation (sharing the same bathroom and kitchen with other people) or for apartments, flats or houses.

    • UQ Rentals is a website featuring vacant rooms and properties that are suitable for students and staff who hold a UQ student/staff number at the time of registering. Owners, landlords, real estate agents and students use the site to advertise their vacancies.  The site is run by UQ's Accommodation Services.  At the top of the web page is a Search field where you can enter in 'Gatton' for a listing of local areas. There is also available a handy Accommodation Guide with advice on how to go about seeking accommodation in all local areas and all the things to look out for. Be sure to check out the Top Tips for House Hunting, located at the bottom of that web page.
    • Real Estate Agents in the local Gatton area can also be of assistance in seeking rental accommodation :

    When renting accommodation please be aware that some accommodation is furnished and others unfurnished.

    Top of page


    Brisbane Airport to Gatton campus

    Your transport options include:

    • Airport pickup service: UQ offers an International Student Airport Reception service to pick up new international students from the Airport when you first arrive.  Check on the booking requirements well ahead of time, and ensure your accommodation is also pre-arranged.
    • TransLink: The Translink network is a mix of train and bus travel. Find the current timetable. You will need to buy a GoCard to travel on Translink buses. It is the easiest and most economical way to pay for bus, train and ferry transport. A GoCard can be purchased from the Gatton Student Centre.
    • Buses: There are a number of bus companies that provide transport from the Brisbane airport to the Gatton campus. These include:
      • Greyhound Australia: When you go to the Booking page, choose the 'Brisbane International Airport as 'Origin' and 'Gatton College' for destination.  Cost for a one-way ticket from the Airport to the Gatton Campus is approximately $40.00.
      • Airport Flyer: This is a transfer service from the airport.  Their small mini-bus will drop you in Gatton town, so you will need to arrange transport from Gatton out to the Gatton Campus. Please note that only a limited number of services are provided by each company.
    • Taxis: Taxis are available at the Brisbane Airport terminal or can be called using the following number:

    Cost for a one-way taxi fare from the Brisbane Airport to the Gatton Campus can be expensive due to the distance so is advisable to only use taxis for travel around Brisbane or between Gatton and Gatton Campus.

    Gatton campus to Brisbane

    While you are staying on Gatton campus, you may want to travel to Brisbane for shopping or visiting friends, or to the St Lucia campus for other study requirements. Without your own transport, your available options are:

    • Buses: Refer to the previous section - the same transport options apply for Gatton campus back to Brisbane.  .
    • The intercampus bus service operates on weekdays through the year, but not on Public Holidays.  During the semester breaks the number of services does reduce. This service will take you from the Gatton Campus to the Brisbane (St Lucia) Campus.  To travel further into Brisbane City, consult the Translink website.  This intercampus service is restricted to UQ staff and students; family members are not included. 
      • Make an online booking in advance of the day you wish to travel. 

         You must have your Student ID card to book. You will obtain your Student ID card when you first come to the Campus.

    Gatton campus to Gatton town

    To travel in to Gatton from the UQ Gatton Campus, use the Translink network. Find the current timetable - Route 539 covers the Gatton stops.

    GoCard: A GoCard has to be purchased for use on Translink buses. It is the easiest and most economical way to pay for bus, train and ferry transport. A GoCard can be purchased from the Gatton Student Centre.

    Other general transport information

    • Driving in Australia: If you are an international visitor to Queensland, you can drive if you have a valid overseas licence.  Go to the Queensland Government's Department of Transport website for further information.

    • Renting a car: Drivers with a valid international license can hire a rental car from most companies- check at the time of booking.

    A selection of car hire companies:

    Top of page

    Food options

    Living in the Halls

     If you are staying in the Halls, three meals per day are provided in the Dining Hall.

    The Halls of Residence also offers some self-catered facilities to students with special dietary requirements. These facilities include a modern kitchen equipped with a microwave, refrigerator, stove, oven, kettle, toaster, lockable cupboards and dining room suite; a common lounge area; and internet connection and television cabling in your room. The self-catering option gives you the opportunity to maintain your independence and to cook for yourself in a smaller community, whilst still having all the conveniences of living on campus.  You will need to discuss your requirements with the Halls staff as these facilities are limited.

    Walkway Cafe: the Cafe is attached to the Dining Hall and offers snacks, coffee and light meals. It is open from 7.30am - 3.30pm during semester. This is the only other food outlet on Gatton campus, in addition to a number of vending machines. You may therefore want to travel to the close-by town of Gatton to purchase other food items.

    Food options in Gatton (town)

    Here are a number of take-away food places in Gatton:

    • Domino's Pizza   35 North Street  1300 366 466
    • Indian Galhey Restaurant    44 Railweay Street  
    • Hannant's Takeaway  86 Railway Street
    • Gatton Golf Club - Thai Restaurant  Woodlands Rd
    • International Food Emporium (grocery store)  50 Railway Street 

    There are also a number of fast-food outlets, such as Dominos, KFC and McDonalds. A McDonalds Cafe is also located across the main highway from the Campus within walking distance.

    Top of page

    Driver’s licence information

    Driving in Queensland

    Information on driving in Queensland on an overseas licence is provided on the Queensland Goverment website.

    Please note that if your licence isn’t in English, you need to carry a recognised English translation of it when you’re driving. Show this translation to police when you have to show your driver licence. The National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) has a list of approved translators (see also overseas and interstate licence).

    Getting your driver’s licence

    If you intend to apply for a driver’s license in Australia, you first need to apply for a learner licence. A learner licence allows you to drive a car under supervision. Your supervisor must have held an open licence for at least one year and currently hold an open licence (for example, their licence must not be expired or suspended). You will have to pass a written test before you can get your learner’s license.

    When you get your learner licence you will be given a Queensland Learner Logbook to record your driving experience. Driving experience can be obtained with anybody holding an open license for more than a year or with a driving instructor. Every hour you drive with an accredited instructor counts for 3 hours in your logbook-up to a maximum of 10 actual hours or 30 logbook hours (also read learning to drive). Hours can be logged manually in the book provided or on a mobile app (which makes it a lot handier).

    To move from your learner licence to a P1 provisional licence, you must:

    1. be 17 or older,
    2. have had your learner licence for at least 1 year (within the last 3 years of applying for a P1 licence),
    3. have recorded 100 hours of supervised driving, including 10 hours of night driving,
    4. pass a practical driving test.

    With a P1 provisional licence (red P) you can drive unsupervised. If you hold a P1 licence, you will need to pass the hazard perception test to move to a P2 licence Green). P2 licence holders can drive with fewer restrictions than P1 licence holders.

    Information on driving schools around UQ Gatton:

    Top of page

    Tourist information

    The town of Gatton is about 100 kilometres west of Brisbane. It is about an hour's drive.

    Toowoomba is 40 kilometres away from Gatton.